Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Finding My Voice
     I recently read a blog written by Lauren Porosoff, a teacher and author, about your presence as an educator. The blog, “’Playing Teacher’ Gets in the Way of Teaching”, addresses how teacher can unknowingly fall into a stereotype. Everybody grew up having to go to schools filled with teachers, reading books about characters interacting with teachers, watching cartoons and movies with teachers in them, and some might even have one in the family. The point is that the idea of who a teachers is and what I teacher does is displayed everywhere in culture. In her blog, Porosoff recants playing teacher as a young girl and knowing how teachers talked due to a stereotype of “using our primmest and most proper voices to give commands (“Now class, take out your notebooks!”), ask single-answer questions (“What’s 27 plus 45?”), praise correct responses (“Very good, Natalie!”), and scold misbehavior (“Wait your turn, Mr. Teddy Bear!”)” (Porosoff, 2014). Porosoff goes on to discuss how using her “teacher voice” was not always effective nor did she think it an effective way to educate. I can see how stereotypes can have a great effect on behavior even when it is unintentional. The hard part is accepting the fact that you can exacerbate a stereotype.
     Porosoff described a method to recognize the stereotype in herself. She drew a picture of herself as a teacher and put word bubbles all around. The point is to have some kind of self-reflection. While I do not see myself doodling up a self-portrait I think it is extremely important and see a lot of value in self-evaluation and taking it a step forward into having a peer-evaluation. It is important not only to perform well, but it is equally important to understand why you are acting the way you do. Further, it can be valuable for students to know why you act the way you do. I think it is easy to use your teacher voice to order students around. Personally I try not to order people around without them knowing the purpose. Should students have a level of trust in their teachers that they are being instructed to perform for a reason, even if its purpose is not fully explained? I think yes, but it should be trust that is earned and not expected. Porosoff stresses the importance of fostering a positive learning environment and clear communication and purpose can help.
     In all things I need to remember I am an educator. I, as a music educator, need to remember my purpose is not to lay the foundation for the next great instrumentalist. I could very well do that, but I am more interested in having a positive impact on a child’s life. To go beyond curriculum and to make sure my students understand values of team work, dedication, and responsibility that was offered to me as a student. I need to understand that my “teacher voice” can greatly limit these opportunities just as it limited Lauren Porosoff’s.

     All in all Porosoff’s blog was very insightful and practical. In hopes of being a successful educator I plan implement her strategies to my best ability. 

1 comment:

  1. Good post Jeremiah! I think that we all need to self-evaluate more often than we do and reflect on what kind of educators we really want to be!

    ReplyDelete