Male or Female?
Gender. Brings to
mind male or female and boy or girl right? Some kind of distinction comes to
mind. This is how the vast majority thinks reality is. What if you were told
that gender is a continuum behaviors that range from very feminine to very
masculine? In not so many words people are neither male nor female but fall
somewhere between a feminine and masculine identity. Sounds pretty fishy right?
Might make you uncomfortable and I’d venture to say most people would reject
the idea. I think this rejection stems from the fact that gender is not a
cultural or social invention, but was designed with a purpose. I was not there
when people came around, so I’ll have to take someone else’s word for it. Moses
writes in the book of Genesis “So God created mankind in his own image, in the
image of God he created them; male and female he created them”. Later Moses
writes “Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the
man, and he brought her to the man”. Clearly these texts declare that gender is
a binary fact and not on some obscure continuum.
Now I know what
some of your thoughts are like what about hermaphrodites or people who declare
they are a different gender than what their body is. Some people would say that
that is proof gender is on a continuum even if it sounds weird. Later Moses
writes about the Fall of Man. Basically Adam and Eve disobeyed God and in doing
so allowed all kinds of death, decay, and perversion of what was initially
created. This would explain the variations we see in the world today. Now I am
NOT saying those who don’t fall under normal gender guidelines are more cursed
and subsequently lesser than those who fall under the norm. Everything was effected
by the Fall of Man but that is another topic for another day. All I am really
trying to say is that the idea that gender is on a continuum rightly does not
make since because that is not how gender was designed.
Now while gender
is not something that can be quantified, masculine and feminine characteristics
can be. Not trying to get into the nurture versus nature argument too heavily I
believe we are born with some traits and learn others. As far as who we learn
from varies upon stages of life. Family has its first go as parents teach their
kids. As we get to schooling age authority figures (especially teachers),
friends, and media have an increasing level of effect as the years go by. We
pick up on our surroundings and walk the fine line of acceptance and
individuality. Sadly, as a culture, we tend to reject or look down upon those
outside the norm. The labels we give those individuals are usually not so
flattering. Guys who act more feminine are sissies, pussies, pansies or gay and
girls that act more masculine are tomboys, butch, or lesbians. It’s a terrible
reality that both genders face. In general I would say society scrutinizes
feminine acting males more than a masculine acting female. As a general
statement masculine traits more desirable in society. So when females act more
masculine it’s accepted because they are displaying a desired trait that males
are expected to have and are looked down upon when not displayed. I’m NOT
saying that it’s right that this happens but merely stating an observation that
is generally true in society.
So what do we do?
Gender is a fact of life. Its trait seem to be a little more ambiguous. I
think, as a culture, we need to start focusing on good and bad characteristics
that we can celebrate or abstain from as people, not a genders. We need to
realize we are all different to serve a purpose and respect that purpose.
I tend to disagree with your thoughts about how gender is not on a continuum, BUT I do like that you included Biblical texts because I too believe gender is a pretty solid issue, but with some wiggle room.
ReplyDelete